ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andyroo770
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Why my RAW pics look bad in Adobe RAW?
Apr 15, 2010

Hi guys, wonder if anyone can help?

I shoot a Canon 40D in RAW, I use a customised picture style whereby I pump the sharpness all the way up, reduce the contrast all the way down and I leave the saturation and color tone sliders in the middle. I also set the color space to sRGB as I have no monitor profiling equipment or printer so generally send 8bit jpegs to my local lab and they tend to come back pretty accurate to the final on-screen image.

My problem is that when I look at the images in bridge, they look as they appear on my camera screen, however, when I open them in RAW, they suddenly look yuck!

I am using PS CS3 with latest RAW plugin and neither the default RAW nor any of the camera profiles give me anything close to what I see on camera screen; ie: the colours are much more muted and shifted and the contrast and exposure has increased. I normally manage to get an acceptable result after alot of fiddling but it would be nice to start with the image as seen on the back of my camera and adjust from there.

Any advice on setting up Adobe RAW, or do I have to accept that the camera shows me what a large in-camera processed jpeg would look like whereas Adobe RAW shows me the processed RAW image?

If I was to shoot a wedding, it makes me nervous that what I see on camera is not what I'll see in Adobe RAW and will require alot of fiddling to make acceptible. (yes I could just shoot jpeg but I like to know I have used the maximum potential of my camera plus I like to have the ability to fine tune exposures and occasionally recover a dud!) would just be nice to start from the same shot as I see on camera.

Thanks for any assistance, sorry for the essay.

Regards,

Andy

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow