Started Apr 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
calgaryflames
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Re: Lens choices for extended travel
In reply to calgaryflames, Apr 13, 2010

Thanks for all the feedback. To answer some general themes:

Why take 2 camera bodies?

A: - My wife and I would fight over a single body since we both love our SLRs.

• We have a backup in case one packs in.

• We also plan to take a Pentax waterproof P&S for times where we can't use our SLRs.

• This worked well for us in Africa as we could each carry a different lens and get different perspectives (I mentioned the gear we took to Africa in another reply). Before the 55-200 packed in, she would normally shoot with the 18-55 and I would carry the 55-200. We could do the same again (ie: 16-85 on one camera and 70-300 on the other camera, but I fear that I'd constantly be trying to reach for the lens my wife was using...) - Hence why I'm thinking about the 18-200...

Other gear: storage, batteries, etc?

A: Yes, we already have solutions for our accessories and peripherals. Extra batteries, power adapters, camera bags, gorilla pod, tripod (looking at carbon fibre), Redundant storage (EPSON P5000, Archos 5 Tablet, USB Flash drives - I'm a bit of a nut when it somes to storage redundancy).

Not many people seem to be recommending F2.8 zooms. Is the general concensus that carrying that weight for a backpacking trip is crazy and that the image quality from lighter consumer lenses is good enough to produce sellable photos? By "sellable" I mean: "can be printed as large poster size to decorate my home" and "possibly could sell if I ever tried to make some money from the images."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow