A remotely operated birding combo :)

Started Apr 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,675
Like?
Bobby: so what is the weight of the four-wheeler?
In reply to Birdman50, Apr 12, 2010

Bobby, thanks for the info, great idea,

jpr2

Birdman50 wrote:

The mobile platform measures 30x16x14 (L/W/H) Inches. I think this is the bare minimum to carry an SLR/Lens combo of this size and weight. The ideal device would actually be an R/C replica of a Main Battle Tank - and if I could find one, that would be my choice.

As pointed out by Ka Mastah Romy, I need to have a mechanism that will allow me to raise or lower the lens angle, and not just swivel the camera. Also, the battery lasts only a maximum of 30 minutes for this prototype, so a higher-capacity unit is crucial.

The contraption will easily travel on flat, semi-rough surfaces, but I would not recommend a tight turn when in full gallop as the 450D/400mm Lens combo raises the rig's center of gravity - making it somewhat top-heavy.

Also, I'd like to be clear that I made this because I think it's a FUN project, that may or may not be good enough for its intended purpose, but it has the potential, anyway.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow