Started Apr 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John101
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Canon 15-85 intermittent blurriness
Apr 10, 2010

I recently bought a Canon 550d (traded in my 40d, because of my frustration with the low resolution LCD screen). I love the new camera and find that the new metering system is much better than the 40d system, and of course the screen is brilliant. My problem is that I bought a 15-85 lens to use with the 550d, and that it seems to have an intermittent problem which I never saw with my canon 17-85 mm which I have used with various bodies for the last 5 years.

During a photo session (I am an amateur, photographing my wife and children etc, generally posed and not moving targets) about half of the photos are a little blurred when viewed at 100% on computer screen. I think there is a correlation with a slower shutter speed, and it seems to be when I use 1/60 second at 85mm (bear in mind you are supposed to get 4 stops IS). It could be a focus problem, but as I say it seems to occur mainly at slower shutter speeds. It is as though the IS mechanism is only working intermittently or inefficiently. The photos which do work out are outstanding, with much better sharpness and contrast than my old 17-85. Photos with my canon 50mm 1.4 are flawless, so I don't think it is the camera body.
Has anyone else had this type of problem with the 15-85?
Any ideas what it could be?

John101's gear list:John101's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 60D
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow