Started Apr 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bcemail
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Lens Advice
Apr 9, 2010

Well, I know there are lots of this type of thread, but I figure that's why we all hang around here. And my wife seems disinterested...

I have the 7D and 28-135 kit lens. Going to buy one lens for now, mainly for family portraits, etc. Would like to do macro at some point, but not necessary. I had planned on getting a 50mm prime, as I loved that on my last camera. Then I thought that I might want a zoom in case I've been limiting myself to 50mm shots. So, after reading all sorts of things, I've narrowed it down to:

50/1.4
50/2.5 macro (1:2)
60/2.8 macro
85/1.8
Tamron 18-70/2.8
Sigma 18-50/2.8 macro (1:3)

So, do you think that I'll miss the extra 2 stops if I get the Tamron or Sigma, or one of the macro primes, instead of the 50/1.4 or 85/1.8? Will I be limiting myself with a prime if I don't get one of the zooms? Or should I get a prime for portraits, etc., and keep the 28-135 for a walking around lens if I want a zoom?

This is not the most scientific question, but I always value the opinions, thoughts, and ramblings of other photogs.

Thanks!
Brian

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow