Superzooms (Canon versus Nikon) Why no love here?

Started Apr 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Digpics
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
Superzooms (Canon versus Nikon) Why no love here?
Apr 5, 2010

In reading these forums, it seems that the Canon 18-200 superzoom is not highly regarded by the Canon community. I have very seldon seen it recommended. However, the Nikon forum generally gives very high praise to the corresponding Nikon 18-200. Lots of folks love it.

I realize a superzoom like this will always offer optical trade-offs for overall convenince. After all this is a 11x travel zoom with a f/3.5 to f/5.6 aperture.

The SLRgear review compared the Canon verus the Nikon with the following comments:

The Nikon offers 7 diaphragm blades compared to the Canon's 6 rounded blades; the Nikon is also slightly lighter by 35 grams. The Nikon is an AF-S lens, offering full-time manual override of focus; the Canon has a slightly closer minimum focusing distance (5cm). Both lenses have approximately the same transitions between apertures and focal lengths (ie., the minimum aperture shrinks at about the same rate as the lens is zoomed in).

Comparing the test results of the lenses, it's fairly close, but if you peep the pixels closely enough the Canon offers slightly sharper results, especially at the telephoto end. For resistance to chromatic aberration, again, it's a very close call, but in this case it's just slightly better on the Nikon. Corner shading is slightly less of a factor on the Canon, and both lenses share the odd distortion characteristics associated with vacation lenses.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on why this forum shows no love for the Canon 18-200 but the Nikon forum is usually very positive about the Nikon 18-200?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow