Started Apr 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,598
Like?
the GF dropped my 17-55 !!!...
Apr 5, 2010

...after getting home, she pulled my camera pack from the car upside down and my beloved 17-55, my baby, came flying out. The zipperswere closed, but it was in a quick access pocket on the outside. It fell 2 feet onto the cement curb, bounced off the edge of its back cap, did a 360, bounced off the edge of its front cap and came to rest in the gutter.

An uncomfortable silence ensued.

I bent down and gently lifted her (mt 17-550 in my palms, a "full on" smacked back cap, a lightly smacked front cap and a micro dent near the edge of the IS on/off button. Still unconscious, we rushed her inside. Good light revealed a miracle in the making, yet a final test remained. I then, slowly mounted her (the lens you pervert!), to my 7d.

I remove the front cap, raise her to to eye and gently push the shutter button. shutter and no beep! I pan about the room frantically, looking for a contrasty subject (she knows how cameras work), yet no reassuring beep. Slowly, I remove my eye from the viewfinder, I glance, then move my ear to the lens,...not a sound. By now she's thinking she's gonna hafta return her new 15-85 to buy me a new one.

Then, having complete confidence (this gal has followed me across the Patagonian Pompa and Bolivian Altiplano, bouncing about the pillion of my moto (my 17-55 lens)), I gleefully turned on the power to my 7d and happily focused about the room (beeep.beep beep) drawing a slap in the chest for my facade. The focus, the IS, everything remains perfect.

Long live my 17-55 hooray!!!

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow