How to minimize shutter delay with Sony HX5V? & Flash used too often?

Started Apr 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DL
DL
Regular MemberPosts: 463
Like?
How to minimize shutter delay with Sony HX5V? & Flash used too often?
Apr 4, 2010

Trying out the Sony HX5V. Most of my photos are of my kids so speed is important. Often I will prefocus with half-press of shutter and snap the photo just as they smile or whatever I'm expecting. With the Sony HX5V I prefocus and hold the shutter button half pressed. However, upon shutter press, the LCD screen goes blank and I hear the electronic shutter indicator sound but that's all at about a 1 second delay. My old compact camera was MUCH faster.

What's the correct way to do it on the Sony HX5V? Reviews and comments seem to indicates the HX5V to be very responsive but so far it's not for me. Wondering if I have some settings that are slowing it down. I should be using 100% factory defaults as far as I can tell.

Also, does anyone else notice that the Sony HX5V uses the flash in an unusually large number of situations? That is with the Intelligent Program mode. Today was a sunny day and it still used the flash outside on almost all photos. Normally I would have expected less than 50% of these shots would have used the flash.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow