Going whaling...

Started Mar 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
gnohz
Regular MemberPosts: 307Gear list
Like?
Re: Going whaling...
In reply to Zuman, Apr 4, 2010

Thanks Zuman for your advice.
Sorry for the delay as I was battling the flu virus.

So does that mean that on the big cruise ship, it will be almost impossible to get any good wildlife shots?

I think I will start another thread to ask some more stuff. Thanks so much!

Zuman wrote:

Hi.

Yes, I think it will work very well while you're on the small whale-watching boat. You'll be amazed how close they get, and you won't even need to go to 300mm at times!

You might get lucky and see bear, caribou, or moose close enough for your lens to get something cool. Ptarmigan and small animals are interesting, too. Sheep and wolves are unlikely other than as part of a landscape.

The ship won't go where you want and they all have different itineraries, so giving you specific locations won't help. Sorry. You should get some cool glacier shots, though, and I think some of the soaring cliffs are amazing. Your challenge, of course, is going to be that the ship will determine a lot of your composition. Good luck!

gnohz's gear list:gnohz's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow