550D vs. K-x. Sometimes humans embarrass me...

Started Apr 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pocoman
Contributing MemberPosts: 505
Like?
550D vs. K-x. Sometimes humans embarrass me...
Apr 3, 2010

I read the review of the Canon 550D and was very impressed. However, looking at the camera comparisons and conclusions, the review left me a little puzzled and troubled.

Now, I don't own any of the cameras tested and am not a conspiracy theorist, but I could sure use some enlightment on the following:

1. Why do they compare the four cameras for noise, jpeg/RAW quality etc (pg.21), but then leave the K-x off the "cameras that potential buyers might also be considering", which shows price comparisons? WOW, I guess people just wouldn't consider the K-x ;).

2. Why, after comparing the jpeg's (pg.23) and RAW (pg.26) do they say, respectively, "There is very little difference in actual detail resolution, although the slightly more aggressive sharpening being applied by the 550D makes detail a little more obvious. Closer examination reveals that the K-x can resolve almost as much of the finest detail in this scene, but it is slightly masked by the fractionally softer default output." , and, "The difference between the raw output of the EOS 550D and the Pentax K-x is pretty much the same as we've seen in the JPEGs. Both cameras are capable of excellent resolution, but the EOS 550D just edges ahead thanks to its greater pixel count." and then somehow come up with this conclusion,

They state that the spirits were shot at ISO 100, however, the EXIF for the K-x indicates ISO 200. For comparison purposes, it would be nice if all shooting parameters were the same. Notice the 550D was shot at f7.1 and the K-x at f8.
Is it possible that this might affect the outcome,

Maybe someone should pixel peep the vermouth and irish cream to see if there is a difference in level between "shots" :).

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
butNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow