D90 Vs 550D ? from another point of view

Started Apr 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
JJ Winkel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387
Like?
Thank You all for your valuable comments
In reply to JJ Winkel, Apr 2, 2010

First I must add that I am casual photographer, being retired now we try to visit and travel around (even sometimes far away), when I gave up the film era I got this Sony H5 because it was small, light and had all the required manual settings I wanted, excellent 3" screen and its formidable reach, I never shoot auto and always expose according to the histogram, but overall I favor IQ and that's where the big shortcomings are.

Visiting means landscapes, towns monuments / architectures, indoor pics, but with the zoom reach of the H5 I also got to like shooting wildlife and details unobtainable otherwise, it also means limited equipment and reasonable weight.
Also I am not a people photograph, my artistic skills not being good enough

I am also good at PP (CS4) and print my best photos (A3+) and some very nice panos too, as I consider that only prints are the right way to appreciate a nice photo.

That said, I started my equipment quest by first looking at the lens (lenses ? ) that I would use most likely with my budget constraints and after reading a lot here I figured that the Nikon set mentionned before (18-105 + 75-300 both VR & VSM) was what I could afford. I first was tempted by a unique 18-200 but advice/reviews here and there seemed to indicate that IQ wise the 2 lens set was better, maybe am I wrong here ??

Also the extra WA of a 16-85 would have been better but too expensive and I figured that with the 18-105 i may not change lens very often.

On the other side, a similar range by Canon at the same price level seemed less attractive (mainly no USM)

About the bodies, I first compared the D90 against the 50D (both with a real pentaprism viewfinder) and the lens consideration naturally pushed the balance more toward the D90, the 50D is about the same price than the 550D now, and if considering finding a used body, there are more D90s offers than 50Ds (quite scarce here).

Also I do not really think that all those pixels are very interesting, and the 12 Mpixels of the D90 should be a better match to my choice of lenses.

While travelling I also sometimes felt that some video would be nicer than pictures, another reason to abandon the 50D

So where's the question then ....... ? Well as I probably will not upgrade again after that, I wanted to make sure the D90 was the better choice and that I haven't completely missed the point or under estimated the strength of another choice.

Again thanks for your comments, if you have more advice, please do not hesitate .......

My contribution to-day : a pano from 7 H5 stitched pics .....

If only I already had a nice dslr then .....
--
JJ.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow