My impression of the 550D's review... and ratings...

Started Apr 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
A Schamber
Senior MemberPosts: 1,053
Like?
My impression of the 550D's review... and ratings...
Apr 2, 2010

I was one of the many that thought that a rating change was really needed. And I was happy when it happened, as until now, it was a little positive (at least, telling that the guys at DPR wanted to be as impartial as possible).
But... after reading the 550D review, I don't know what to think.

Yes, it may be the best Rebel to date, but that doesn't have to give it the Gold Award. I remember DPR saying that it would be more difficult to gain it, and... then why give it to a camera that just added more megapixels, is worse in IQ than the Kx, but construction wise is the same plastic feel.
Even... look at the rating's graph. The standout item is the movie mode.

Therefore... perfect: it is great for movies, and it is great for having 18 mp. But what about the rest?

This is not against the Canon 550D itself, but rather against falling into the same flat ratings we had before.

It is arguably a good camera overall, and I would have rated it a little below the 77%, but it would have been 74%... or 75%... so no real difference. But why the Golden Award?
--
Alan Schamber

Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm - Frank Zappa

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow