Flat view
Ben Seese
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,367
Like?
*** Challenge #99 - SPRING in MOTION ***
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks again go out to Ian for hosting the previous 'Graffiti' challenge:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=34785784

Hoping to increase participation this time around, I'm keeping the topic wide open: Spring . I'd like to see the life returning to your part of the world, or people returning to outdoor activities. But here's the catch -- I'm not satisfied with a still frame or two. I want to hear the sounds of spring and see its movement. So now's the time to break out that video mode you've been hesitant to mess with.

Tell a story, or as I tend to do, just capture some 'moving postcards' or 'long photos'. Try to keep it under 2 or 3 minutes.

Feel free to use music, as long as it adds to the springtime feel. I won't tattle on you if it's used without permission.

A couple technique recommendations: A tripod (or effective VR) is a Very Good Thing. Don't make us sea-sick. Also, I'm a stickler for the jumpy auto-exposure of our Nikons. If possible, please learn & use the AE-Hold function of the AEL button.

Owners of cameras besides the D90 or D5000 can play along too, with some creativity. I'll accept stop-motion, time-lapse, extended 3fps bursts, or even a really good 'moving' slideshow. Members who use a Nikon SLR for photos, and shoot video with another brand SLR or micro-4/3 camera: I'll hesitantly allow those videos too. But I don't want to see any point-&-shoot or camcorder video.

Southern-hemisphere folks, I'll leave it up to you whether you want to submit footage from last spring, or turn the topic on its proverbial head and record current autumn scenes.

Free video hosting sites include YouTube, Vimeo and Flickr. The first two host HD for free; Flickr does HD on paid accounts & limits clips to 90 seconds. I'm sure there are others as well.

Now for the traditional 'example' picture (which was the reason for the delay getting this challenge posted). I went out shooting this afternoon for about 45 minutes, and threw together this 75-second clip from some vacant land in my neighborhood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp5B2tUB27Y
or, if you prefer:
http://www.vimeo.com/10618895

As you can see, it's still very early in the Michigan springtime. I hope & imagine you folks will be able to come up with some much more colorful scenes.

The challenge will end on Monday, April 12th, at 11am EDT (3pm GMT) . (There was discussion whether 1 or 2 weeks was proper - I split the difference.)

Don't forget - Please reply to the FIRST (ORIGINAL) post if you are submitting an entry and RENAME THE SUBJECT TO INDICATE THE TITLE OF YOUR ENTRY.

R U L E S:

The host gives you a topic of interest and you get going. You post ONE image (if you post more than one image, the first will be your entry in the challenge). The host chooses a winner after closing. The decision of the judge (the Host) is final. The judge is not eligible. The winner then chooses the next topic, runs the challenge, judges the winner and passes on the baton to that person. If the winner fails to post a new challenge within 72 hours of being declared the winner then the runner-up should post the new challenge within a further 24 hours.

Feel free to comment on other contestants' images. If you want someone to leave you a piece of constructive criticism, put a (CC) next to the title of your image [e.g. Sunset with Canada Geese (CC)].

Please embed your image in the thread. Try to resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (800 pixels on the longest side works best.) Please simply post a link to your video online. HD is preferred.

Thanks to all and good luck!!

REMEMBER TO REPLY TO THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD! Not in-between but the FIRST.

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow