Dreamy Bokey with 55-300

Started Mar 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
GossCTP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,085
Like?
Shallow DOF != bokeh
In reply to Chau D, Mar 29, 2010

Chau D wrote:

Sorry, I posted these images before but I'd like to post them again to backup my claim. All these photos were taken with the Tamron Di 70-300mm.

The Tamron can focus closer than the Pentax, and thus has the ability to attain shallower DOF. Just about any lens can have pleasant bokeh with very shallow DOF and clear subject/background isolation. Better lenses can render pleasant bokeh under much less favorable conditions. I don't think either of these consumer zooms can be described as great bokeh producers as both have their issues with longitudinal CA, though between these two I give the Pentax the nod.

I sold the 70-300 LD that I had because it seemed like no matter how tame the lighting, there was always something either purple or green that shouldn't have been. In this case, it's a purple specular highlight in the eye.

EDIT - cracking shots by the way. I still can't stand that lens, but you know how to get the best out of it.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow