ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Denton Taylor
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
2nd body to 5D Mk2
Mar 28, 2010

Greetings all:

I had a 5D mk 1 for a number of years, and just got a 5D Mk2. Love both bodies for portraiture and landscapes and general shooting, but I also like to shoot the NYC Marathon, and some bike races. The 5D Mk1 never had the fast AF that my Nikon F5s had back in the film days, and the Mk2 doesn't seem much better.

I was thinking of selling the 5D mk1 and getting a body more suited to sports. Generally I would use with my 300 2.8L.

I had been thinking of getting a used 1d Mk 3, which seem to sell here in NYC for $1800-2k, just a bit more than the 7D. However after reading some of the forums, I'm wondering about a 7D instead.

I'm aware of the better build quality of the 1D, naturally, but I am not a pro. Also I recall there were some AF issues with the 1D Mk3, were they ever resolved? Naturally for marathon and bike races I like that either body will extend the reach of my 300, as I can't just run out and buy a 400 or 500.

I like the the 5D mk2 at least shares batteries with the 7d, altho not the grip. Any ideas? How would you rate the AF capabilities of the 2 cameras against each other?

Denton Taylor's gear list:Denton Taylor's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +20 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow