ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,890
Like?
m4/3 and older Leica manual focusing lenses
Mar 26, 2010

Hello,

I am a long time camera user and I'm not all that young either. But like some of you I like getting new cameras, even when I do not really need another.

I have a very nice Seiko/Epson R-D1 drangefinder. Wonderfull camera! Also since purchasing my R-D1 I added a lot of second hand Leica M and Leica screwmount lenses to my collection. With my Leica M-5 35mm film camera I was satisfied with the one 50mm f/1.4 Summilux. But digital has always encouraged me to take more images because I can just view them at home on my computer right away. So as a hobby it helped me to be active every day. Really a lot of fun.

I have been looking at Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 cameras for a while and they seem like they would be fun cameras to own. For me photography is great fun. It gives me something to do everyday. I have a substantial collection of film and DSLR's and lenses in Canon, Nikon, Pentax as well as Leica rangefinder lenses. So the fun is boundless. I can do flowers and people and birds as well as landscapes and buildings and even a little micro photography.

I am very happy with my R-D1 in every way. But like I said early on I like new cameras, it's fun to learn how to use them and they usually add to what I am able to do in photography.

I would like to ask any of our dpreview members who have used these m4/3 cameras with manual focusing Leica type M lenses. Are you finding focusing satisfactory? What about the IQ with these lenses. I have 50mm, 90mm and 135mm in Leica M mount and in screwmount I have 28mm, 35mm and several Russian made 50mm screwmount lenses with the M adapters. So I feel that I could use them all on the new m4/3 cameras.

I like the Panasonic DMC-G1 and it's my first choice. It's very good built in EVF is very important for manual focusing. The Panny new DMC-G2 is also on my list especially because of it's articulating rear screen. Of course I also like the Olypus PEN EP-2 because of it's supplied accesory EVF. I actually am seriosly considering the newer PEN E-PL1 but I would then have to wait untill the add on EVF becomes available for it. I am thinking any of these would work well with my Leica M lens set. So please if you have experience with the above m4/3 cameras and M and or screwmount lenses could you share with me any insight's you may have. Thanks in advance.
-Peter

-- hide signature --

Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow