Started Mar 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
B McCarthy
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?
Fire and Ice
Mar 25, 2010

I got a nice note from Iceland, commenting on my images from a show at Smith College called Three Islands. Beyond the individual images themselves, the show is a result of a project that I have been working on for the last four years which looks at the islands, reflecting the individuality of each area. My friend, wrote, back in early March, . . .”This country of mine is so young and constantly recreating itself! Right now an eruption is expected in Eyjafjallajokull glacier in the south, there have been a lot of earthquakes there for a few days”.

Since then, I’ve been paying close attention to what’s going on and sure enough, the “Land of Ice and Fire” is living up to it’s history. The last time that Eyjafjallajokull erupted was in 1821 and before that it was in 1612 and 920. I guess volcanoes aren’t new to Iceland (since the island was formed by them) and they tend to occur every three years of so. But, they sometimes change more than the island itself. Apparently a 1783–85 volcanic event carried poisonous gas to the European continent and thousands died in the British Isles.

I’ve been watching the sunset on the live Web Cam at http://mila.is/um-milu/vefmyndavelar/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

If you get to look before it gets too dark, it’s pretty impressive. It’s quite a distance away, but you can begin to see the fire as the day darkens. Be patient, sometimes it quiets down for a while and then starts up strong. Some of the steam is from the lava melting the glacier.
Here is a photo that I took of the same area in 2007.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow