Best first lens for 7D?

Started Mar 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
TomFL
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: Best first lens for 7D?
In reply to Matt_UKTX, Mar 24, 2010

I originally bought the 7D with the EF-S 18-55. My first 7D had focusing issues so I sent both of them back and got a 24-105L, which I am very happy with. I had both lenses for a couple days and the 24-105 consistently focused better and was smoother operating, it also was better built.

I then later bought a Sigma 50 mm / f1.4, as the the 24-105 was only f4 and I really wanted better performance indoors in available light.

I think if you only have 1 lens, you need to have some zoom. The 105 is good for most everything except when I was doing some birds, I wish I had more reach.

I'm probably going to break down and get the 70-200/f2.8 II with a 2X converter (maybe 1.4) and that will fill out most everything I need, possibly I would get a an ultra wide at some point.

Lenses have a longer lasting resale value, and the optics technology doesn't advance at the blistering rate that camera technology does, so it makes sense to invest in good glass IMO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow