Those who shoot to the Right & Raw. -4 Contrast or 0 Contrast in Neutral Pic style?

Started Mar 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bryan Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?
Those who shoot to the Right & Raw. -4 Contrast or 0 Contrast in Neutral Pic style?
Mar 24, 2010

Basically the goal is to get the more accurate RAW Histogram without any influence from the JPG preview (which is how the Histogram is made) we see...

I happen to shoot RAW and Manual mode, but it shouldn't matter if you shoot in Av or Tv.

So my scenario / question is...

So we shoot to the right as far as we can without clipping. Our picture style in camera is set to Neutral so there is very little processing to the JPG preview's Histogram that we see. The question is... Is it more logical to set -4 to the contrast in the Neutral Picture style or set it to 0 contrast?

Lately, I've set it to -4... It appears I have more accurate histograms this way and gives me a little bit more freedom processing the final raw. However, I do not know this to be a fact. It is possible Neutral at -4 contrast is applying a curve much like it would Neutral at +4 contrast, but simply in reverse to give the illusion we are getting more dynamic range. If that's the case it may not be beneficial at all, and even harmful.

What do you guys think of this? I usually move the contrast up in post processing from -4 to 0 and see if it clips the highlights... If it does I can lower the exposure some, if not I can either increase the exposure and/or add more contrast to the image.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow