ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Matt_UKTX
Regular MemberPosts: 493
Like?
Best first lens for 7D?
Mar 23, 2010

Hi,

I'm about to enter the DSLR arena and pony up for the Canon EOS 7D. I have been into the store, used all the cameras, and in the end the look/feel of the 7D seems worth the extra money over the T2i (although they are both excellent cameras).

I'm looking for recommendations for my first lens. I could obviously buy one of the kits (EF 28-135mm or EF-S 18-135mm) but from what I've read, these are pretty mediocre options...

I plan to take a variety of shots, but mostly lanscapes, scenery, buildings, vacation pictures, etc. I'd just like a good "all-around" lens to get me started that will allow me to get the most out of the 7D (if such a thing exists). I'd also like something that doesn't way 2lbs or is the size of a can of soup Price is also a consideration. I'd like to stay under $500. I'm considering the following options, but I welcome suggestions, comments and feedback.

• Sigma 17-70mm OS HSM

• Sigma 17-70mm Non-OS HSM

• Sigma 18-125mm OS HSM

• Canon EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS + Canon EF-S 55-200mm IS

• Canon EF 28-135mm

• Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Non-VC

• Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-F6.3 Non-VC

I'm happy to also consider combinations of zoom lenses or even primes, if they fit within my budget.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Regards,
Matt.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow