Started Mar 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonV
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
5D to 7D
Mar 23, 2010

I'm currently the owner of a 5D classic, and have the chance to buy a used 7D in great condition for 1100 euros (1500 dollars). I could sell the 5D at abt. 800–900 euros (1100–1200 dollars). Would you consider this small price difference worth the change of cameras?

I like the 5D classic, especially because of the wide end (17-40L), but a few things that really hamper my photography is the lack of live view (I have a bad back and knees and often can't crouch/bend myself in many situations, which makes, for example, low shots pretty tricky), lack of auto ISO (which I've kind of gotten used to, but would be nice), small and greenish tinted LCD screen, micro AF adjust, slightly slow continuous speed. Video is a nice bonus, which I would use on vacations, but I feel it's not as important a feature as I'd like to tell myself.

I don't do serious birding, but I like shooting animals (with a camera). I'm sort of interested in shooting sports, but it's a very small part of what I normally shoot. Landscapes are nice, but I very rarely have access to areas which offer beautiful vistas (normally only on vacations).

If there is no discernible image quality difference between the two, I'd probably go with the 7D because of the features. How would you compare the 12 mp FF resolution with the 18mp crop of the 7D? I've still to completely understand the differences here.

What I essentially need is for you guys to talk me out of switching to the 7D :P, unless you can see a valid reason for me to go for it. Thanks in advance!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow