DPR call 1D4 and d3s equal cameras in 1D4 review

Started Feb 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shogi
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Re: He also uses a feild recorder...
In reply to Sal Baker, Mar 22, 2010

He's using a Tascam field recorder in the link I sent. As for the 5D, he's using an xlr adapter that is even larger than a field recorder, and was using an xlr adapter before as well. The link was ironic because you said the size of the gear prevented him from using it, that was your example, but he has been using it all along. As I said, the magic lantern hack, and now official firmware, are for the 5DII only. The 1DMKIV, 7D, and 550D require a field recorder. Of course, you can run the headphone or line-out to the camera for reference.

Anyway, I picked up the 550D today, in Hong Kong. Great little cam, cheap, and there is a 2-year warranty here, with accidental damage coverage (they send you a new camera, for $100--or if repairable, charge $50. This is not an in store thing, it's the standard Canon warranty, pretty cool. Of course I'd have to fly to Hong Kong, but I do that regularly enough, and should be living in or near shortly. Hopefully Canon will release a firmware update for all their current HDSLR's (and add 1/2 stop ISO adjustment on the 550D). Not likely, but it would be great to have backup (rather than reference) audio from the 550. One strange thing I noticed is that changing from 1/2 and 1/3 stop exposure adjustments yields some strange shutter speeds. You can shoot 1/45th with 1/2 and 1/50th with 1/3. I figured different shutter speeds (at the low end) would be available, but was bummed they didn't put 1/48th in there. Tomorrow I'll do some tests and see if 1/45 or 1/50th is better (one would assume 1/50th is better, as it's closer to 1/48th).

Sal Baker wrote:

Not ironic at all, read the link again. He uses the 5DII internal audio, no external field recorder at all. He does use a small XLR adapter, but records audio in the camera.. From the link...

"The first problem is with audio. I used a Sennheiser ME- 66 shotgun mic and G2 wireless system running into a Beachtek DXA-2s (I’ve since upgraded to a Juicedlink CX-231 with the Magic Lantern hack) which converts professional XLR mics into a minijack suitable for the 5D. I built custom aluminum ‘wings’ in a workshop to hold this audio setup."

Now he can use the new Canon firmware update and record 48khz audio manually without the need for the Magic Lantern hack.

Sal

Shogi wrote:

That's a rather ironic site to point towards, as he does what I said.

http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2010/03/15/dan-chung-filming-chinas-migrant-children-using-the-canon-550d/

I'm in Hong Kong now, and just debating whether to buy my 550D here or get a visa to Shenzhen. It looks like a 60D wont be around for a while, and the 7D and 5DMKII haven't dropped in price. XXXD series wins again. Or maybe I should get a 7D in Shenzhen...

Sal Baker wrote:

Shogi wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

The serious documentary shooters I know use the Magic Lantern firmware enhancement that gives the 5DII manual audio control and on-screen audio meters. Many times separate audio equipment isn't feasible (war docs etc.). The current crop of tiny converter boxes allow the use of high-end XLR mics which sound very good since the 5DII records 2 channels of audio at CD quality.

Sal

Sure, that is an option...if you're using a 5DMKII. That firmware hack is not available for the 1DMKIV, or the 7D for that matter (yet). However, even if it were, you're still better off using an external field recorder. Even a cheap H4n is going to deliver superior sound, as its mic pre-amps are far better than what is stuffed into the side of the 5D/7D/1D. You can also record in 24-bit 48khz that way, giving you more leeway for sound editing.

Shooting with seperate sound gear just isn't an option for some of the types of documentaries going on in the world now, and it takes away one of the advantages of DSLR video cameras--small, light, highly mobile, one person crew.

http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2009/10/14/photojournalist-danfung-dennis-how-i-cover-the-afghanistan-war-with-the-5dmkii/

We have a doc underway that uses the 5DII with only the internal mic and no other support gear. The subject matter is easier to "manage" with what appears to be only a still camera.

Cheers.

Sal

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow