Started Mar 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tauceti
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
K7 color space issue ?
Mar 21, 2010

This is probably a beginner's question (as far as colorimetry is concerned, that is) so please forgive me in advance for that.

I just purchased a K7 (an upgrade from my current K200D), and love the way it handles.

But out of the box (and into Aperture) the picture are, er... ugly, with a strong magenta hue, and unnatural skin colors. People's lips appear as if they had been covered with a magenta lipstick. This is valid both for DNG and JPG files, so it does not seem to be an issue of white balance (which I cannot manage to correct by postprocessing on those files, either manually or automatically).

I suspect something must be wrong with the way the color spaces are handled. In the K7 EXIF the colorimetric model is set to be RGB, yet the profile name is sRGB IEC61966-2.1, which seems strange to me. The K200D uses RGB / ADOBE RGB (1998) by default which seems more consistent and produces nice results. Setting the K7 profile to ADOBE RGB (1998) does not solve the problem. Aperture is set with the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile, however changing the profile to APPLE or ADOBE RGB does not change significantly the way the image is displayed on my PowerBook Pro's LCD.

I haven't played with all the options yet but if someone could give me a hint of what goes wrong, it may save time. Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow