5D Mark II's AF quick, precise enough to capture young children? 7D better?

Started Mar 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Klopf
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
5D Mark II's AF quick, precise enough to capture young children? 7D better?
Mar 21, 2010

I am expecting my first child at the end of June and want to be certain that my photo gear is up to capturing all of the once-in-a-lifetime moments of the comings months and years. I currently have an Olympus E3, which is a nice camera but simply not up to the task of taking in-focus, high ISO (by which I mean clean 3200) photos in low light situations -- and the E3 also lacks video, which I would like to at least have the option of using in the future.

I've largely ruled out the current Nikon line-up (the D700 has no video, the D300s seems sharply overpriced here in Europe considering its specifications, the D3 models are too expensive for my hobby), but am still uncertain exactly which Canon model best meet my needs. The 5D Mark II seems to sync well with the sort of photography I like, namely urban landscapes and street scenes - my website http://web.mac.com/peter_klopf/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html gives a good overview of my photo interests and style.

However, I worry that while the 5DII's AF system is certainly more than enough for taking well-considered photos of static objects, it might not be up to the task of capturing the fast, unpredictable movements of energetic young kids.

Would the more advanced AF of the 7D be better-suited to the job? - Your thoughts and experiences?

Also: is the 24-70/2.8 likely to be the best all-around zoom for my purposes, or is the 24-105/4 not really that much slower in practice?

I'm grateful for any insights and opinions.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow