Started Mar 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478
Full Frame or Not???
Mar 21, 2010

Hi All,

I'm still pondering if I should make the move to full frame. I'm having a hard time focusing on the key issues involved in this decision. If I could get some opinions on the following questions it might help:

• What type of photographers use FF? What do they shoot mostly?

• What are the primary pros and cons of FF?

• What are the primary pros and cons of using an APS-C camera?

My estimated shooting preferences follow:

• Family activities of all types (parties and kiddie activities like sports etc - flash frenquently used for indoor parties etc) - 20%

• Macro pics of small things - mostly flowers and the like - 25%

• Day trips by myself or with a photo buddy (mostly outdoors including wildlife) - 30%

• Vacations where travel is involved (I like to travel light but IQ is still important) - 20%

• Misc pics of opportunity mostly taken with my S90 (I keep the S90 with me at all times) - 5%

I thought I would keep my A550, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, and 55-200 SAM for use when I want to go light.

If I go FF, I'd probably also get the CZ24-70. Otherwise, I already have a nice selection of lenses that are suitable for FF. If I don't go FF, I'll probably get the A700 replacement when it comes out.

IQ is very important to me - I plan to start making larger prints for myself and family (my family is urging me to make larger prints).

Your thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks, Ed
Torrance, CA

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow