Started Mar 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,271Gear list
Like?
What I'd like to see in the next Olympus DSLR's: Survey
Mar 21, 2010

4/3's Rumors is running a survey of questions users would like posed to Olympus and I've gone for the bait. The ice dam against communication seems to be melting given interviews with Olympus Japan posted last week, so I thought it might be worth a shot at getting their attention/feedback.

I posted the response below. Not sure how it resonates with other Olympus users, but would be interested to know and also have others post to the 4/3's Rumors survey in the hope it shakes loose some clear info on their direction.

If nothing else, kind of fun to dream . Here's the link, and my response is below.
http://43rumors.com/what-are-your-questions-to-olympus/

What this E-510 and onetime OM-2S user would like to see:

1) An E-640 with E-PL1 sensor/JPEG engine, 3″ medium or hi-res flip LCD, a joy-to-use large and bright OVF instead of the current tunnel (maybe graft on thre E-30’s pentaprism), use SD memory cards. Keep the same small/light body along with its great features like lens correction, backlit buttons, small grip.

2) E-7xx: Same as above but weathersealed and with new Panny 14 MP sensor. Many, many Olympus users going back to OM’s prize small and light but very ruggedly built bodies. Do not lose sight of this fundamental feature that separates Olympus from the rest.

3) E-40 bringing in featureset to match the Pentax K-7 (weathersealed, HD video, hi-res 3″ LCD, 14 MP sensor, the list goes on). It was a blunder at the E-30's launch not to do so in the first place. We’re tired of Olympus lagging the pack in DSLR technology instead of leading as they did at the launch of 4/3’s.

4) E-5 as the Olympus technology leader. Scale back the size and weight of Miss Piggy while you’re in the process to somewhere between the current E-30 and E-3.

5) Primes, primes and more primes: 12mm, 20mm, 100mm, all f 1.8 to 2.

All of the above in the coming 6 months: hey, they’re all now drastically overdue, stop cutting slack and lead.
--
Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow