Started Mar 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sassan_n
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Quality control for 7D
Mar 20, 2010

Yesterday in Germany at Media Markt they offered a very good price for the 7d. (1328 Euros for the 7D plus 100 Euros Media Markt gift card). They had only two 7d's at my local store. I bought the one which was brand new and has never been taken out of its original package. Brought it home, put my lens on it and immediately noticed an ugly deep black dot in the view finder about 2cm to the right of the center. It is not something like dust or so, it has a radius of approx. 1mm and clearly visible. Brought it back to the store at the same day. The salesman tried to blow it away from the focusing screen but seems to be behind it, somewhere on the prisma he said. He was very surprised and angry. He had sold the other 7d and could not exchange the camera for me. He said this is very anoying for you and for us. He called the other Media Markt stores and they had also only a few and wanted to sell them themselfs. I told him that I need the cam and do not want to wait until he gets a new one and have asked him to take it back. After preparing the papers for the refund, he needed a signature from his boss. Then he came back and told me that I could take this camera home and use it and he would call me as soon as he gets a new one from Canon and then exchange it. This could take one or two weeks. I told him that this cam would be used then and if he could give me his offer in writing. He said I have his word. I told him tha I count on his word and took the camera back home. My wife did not like this and says I should have returned it.

So now I have some questions. How can such a camera get through the quality control by Canon? Don't they look through the finder before they put it in the box?

What if the salesman does not keep his word and I get stuck with this 7d? If you were me, would you accept the black dot and say okay it is anoying but has no effect on the image quality so I would live with it?

I have not used the camera since then because somehow I think if I start using it then it would be "used" and I can not exchange it for a new one. Would you start using it if you were in my situation?

Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow