User experiences with Nikon 50mm f1.2 AIS?

Started Mar 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ZinMe
Contributing MemberPosts: 710Gear list
Like?
User experiences with Nikon 50mm f1.2 AIS?
Mar 19, 2010

Ok, I'll admit I started thinking about this when I saw a link on Ken Rockwell's website regarding this lens. I wasn't aware they were still available new, and hadn't thought about buying anything beyond the 50mm f1.4 lenses. The price new isn't bad for a f1.2 lens, and I'm guessing that there are a decent number of these around to purchase used.

Shooting at f1.2 woudl be grea.

It would be a no brainer if it had autofocus. I can't fathom why Nikon hasn't offerred this lens with AF-- Canon has it, and it seems to be very popular. Also, looking at the reviews of the new AF-S 50mm, it seems to have some limitations in terms of distortion and also in sharpness in the f1.4 - f2.0 range.

I have some questions for anyone with experience / knowledge of this lens:

1) How good is the sharpness / contrast at f1.2-f1.4?

2) Are there significant issues with distortion or CAs?

3) The additional shallowness of DOF appears significant even compared to a f1.4 lens- is this actually the case?

4) How hard is it to focus on a digital camera- is a replacement split circle focusing screen sufficient to ensure good focus?

5) How often do you actually shoot at f1.2?

6) I assume you can use Aperature priority mode on a Nikon DSLR? If not, how do you meter?

THANKS!
Dave

ZinMe's gear list:ZinMe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow