Started Mar 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Janbro
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?
Getting over the GH1 lugs thing
Mar 17, 2010

I am so ready to buy a GH1, but am perplexed by the loose lugs issue. Naive as I am, I thought if I just asked direct questions, I could proactively find one I wouldn't have to worry about dropping...

First, I asked B&H (an exceptional vendor, where I always buy my gear), hoping their stock had been inspected, or was new, or something that would reassure me. But they hadn't even heard about the issue and assumed that Panasonic "would have reported something by now if there was a problem." To his credit, once I referred the guy to the dpreview reports, he did follow up; but this doesn't really help me:

"I called Panasonic at 800-211-PANA and (after 10 minutes on hold) the tech rep I spoke with had never heard of the problem. He checked with the engineers and they also never mentioned such an issue."

Secondly, I asked Panasonic how I could find a GH1 that was manufacturer using the corrected (screw-type) lug fastener. I inquired whether they have a record of serial numbers or manufacturing date before which the vulnerable (nut-type) fastener was used. Their response:

"Unfortunately we have not been provided with any information regarding serial numbers to reflect the cameras that have a possible issue. The warranty period for the product is one-year..."

(I guess "we" are the guys at the email desk, who don't speak for the company?) At least he knew what I was talking about and acknowledged the issue, but implies that I should hope any problem occurs in the first year.

So... I guess life's all about taking risks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow