European Kingfisher

Started Mar 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
Eurostar
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
Re: Beautiful Work
In reply to Dale108, Mar 16, 2010

Thanks to you all. The lens is indeed a gem, I bought it from a sport pro that wasn't using it by many years, it's very scratched on the outside but its glass is perfect.

The blind is an Ameristep Hothouse, easy to set up, not really perfect for birding. I will have to make adaptions to make it very practical.

The distance was 6 metres, more or less. Near the closer focus distance.

To say the truth, I didn't need a lot fo patience. The river is full fo water from the metling snow, I went to a spot where the water slow down where the river turn, I placed a stick taken form the wood ground right in the middle of the shallow water and less than half an hour later the bird perched on. It's just a matter of time and place. The importat thing is to stay perfectly still, even if inside the hide, having just the lens coming out, with perfectly closed window around it, and keep the lens on target, without moving it around even if tempted to look if there are other birds around.

A netted window would help to look around, I have to build one in my blind.

Eurostar's gear list:Eurostar's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Apple iPhone 4S +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow