Started Mar 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DPFranz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,461Gear list
Like?
[pics] Tea and Bird Lunch with D3s - Konar Province, Afghanistan
Mar 14, 2010

My first real outing with full frame (D3s). Noticeable adjustment needed from D2x in choosing aperture due to smaller depth of field. I spent about 5 days at a little combat outpost in NE Afghanistan, just a couple miles from the Pakistani border.

Side note..I've never noticed this before getting Windows 7...images look noticeably softer in Internet Explorer than in Photoshop, Lightroom, Windows Picture Viewer, Capture NX...frustrating. Anyway, back to our story...

Just to set the stage..here I am showing off my remote holding skills..

The gentleman on the right was very nice, though my new friends poked fun at me by calling him Osama due to somewhat similar appearance. A very kind soul, however, and kicked my butt at rummy...

Center of the outpost...

Getting ready for lunch...

DVD player not working...frustration...this man can't read, but is not scared to tinker...and got it working!...

My new friends offered me green chai tea, grown just down the hill. Served with plenty of sugar, it was lovely...

Lunch is almost ready...jesting with a part we did not eat...he shot two of these birds with a small shotgun...

Me again...the one gentleman that spoke English (the interpreter) said that they trusted me more because of the beard...

Yes, I asked first...this was after a couple of days of visiting with them...trust was established...

The "front" of the OP...

Very soft-spoken, polite people, but around here, one has to carry the big stick as well...good ol' AK47...

Almost everyone...

If you don't own a helicopter, this is the only way to get supplies in...

Bring your sons to work day...

Here is the boss...

Whipping up some beans and rice to go with the birds...

A little out of context, but...an image of an unnamed site, through an unnamed sensor, with data text cloned out...

Here's the American kitchen...the food was better in that of the Afghans...

Just before I left by night chopper...

-- hide signature --

Dana Paul Franz
danapfranz@gmail.com
http://dfranz.smugmug.com

'The moment an emotion or fact is transformed into a photograph it is no longer a fact but an opinion .... All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth.' - Richard Avedon

DPFranz's gear list:DPFranz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D70 Nikon D2X Nikon D3S +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow