Started Mar 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Waynes World
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
My DA* 50-135 f2.8 SDM Review!
Mar 14, 2010

Hello, I bought the 50-135 SDM this morning and I was taking pictures all day so here is my opinion at the moment. It was -5 celsius and raining. Enjoy reading and I hope it helps.

BUILD QUALITY/ HANDLING : The 50-135 has a real strength in terms of build quality. The very broad and precise focus and zoon rings are well dampened and rotate smoothly. The lens weighs 690g, so it's well balanced on the heavier K-7, K10D, K20D, and K200D. This lens is a professional grade so build quality like this is expected. The Weather sealing held up very well in the rainy weather. The Lens hood is unusually large for this lens but that means flare is low and it protects the front lens element from dust and dirt. Now the part you have been waiting for, SDM. The focus was generally very accurate, focusing well with very little hunting. The Focus speed was average, not much faster than a screwdriven lens. The SDM was very quiet and as long as it dosen't fail I prefer it to the screw driven system.

Final verdict on build quality: 9.5 out of 10.

THE PICTURES IT PRODUCES :
Here are a few of the best ones I got today.

Bokeh is very nice from f/2.8 to f/4 and still good at f/5.6
Magnify the photos to see the sharpness for yourself.
No verdict on optical quality yet (only had the lens for a day!)

I can't tell you much more, I haven't tested it enough, I will give some more thoughts soon.

Cheers, Thanks for reading!
--
Richard Mozisek

Waynes World's gear list:Waynes World's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow