Started Mar 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lester_B
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
mixing ambient with flash
Mar 11, 2010

I normally shoot in studio headshots and small group portraits. I have been asked to do engagement photos in a wilderness park nearby. It will be around 4 pm and the sun will be behind and just to the right of my subjects. I'm just not sure how to light this thing. I'm shooting with a Canon 5D mark 2. I can use my 24-105 L lens or my 70-200 2.8L lens. I also have several AB lights and a portable power pack if needed. Not sure if my Canon 580 flash would be enough power. I have one helper and I was thinking of having her hold a light stand just to the right or left of me with the flash at full power. Or I could have her hold a reflector since the sun will be pretty much pointing right at us and illuminating them that way. I'm attaching a link to the pic

At 4 pm the sun will be just above the tree to the right (pics was taken at a different time of day), the couple will be in shade and I will be in sunlight. Some suggestions from you guys that have done this type of work in the past would be appreciated.

Lester_B's gear list:Lester_B's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow