Non-consensual photography in public (UK)

Started Mar 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ny pixelpost
Senior MemberPosts: 1,727
Like?
Non-consensual photography in public (UK)
Mar 11, 2010

If this topic has been coved in this forum I apologise. I did a search and found nothing.

There are numerous threads here about the abuse of UK terror laws against "innocent" photographers, but surprisingly I haven't seen anything about the planned legislation to erode the copyright and ownership rights of our images: http://www.copyrightaction.com/forum/uk-gov-nationalises-orphans-and-bans-non-consensual-photography-in-public?page=1

Also if you read or scroll down that page you will see an article titled, "The ICO code : put that camera away, my face is private". Terror laws or jobsworth security in shopping centres will be the least of your worries once this law takes hold in the public's paranoid imagination. Photography will be off-limits almost everywhere without written permission. Even if you aren't taking pictures with people in them, the perception that you might be doing so is going to make life difficult if not impossible for us all.

If you take photographs openly you may be stopped/challenged and if you are more discreet you might be perceived as being furtive and that will be suspicious too.

I don't want to get political, but a side issue for me is the alarming and apparently increasing amount of decisions and legislation that are being slipped through the "back door" by unelected people with no public debate or accountability in the UK and EU.

It may be that we are paying the price for a minority who are terrorists, paedophiles or the relentless paparazzi celebrity stalkers that have now spoiled it for everyone. However, the laws that are being introduced seem to be open to interpretation which will mean that what may be acceptable in one place may not be in another, but how will we know? So do we all risk being harassed by the public or even criminalised.

Ill-conceived legislation will mean there is a poor future in prospect for those who love the photographic arts in all its diversity.

Norman Young
http://www.noyo-internet.co.uk

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow