ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digitalformula
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Nikon gear - how weather-proof is it???
Mar 11, 2010

Hey all,

This is my first post here so go easy on me.

I shoot with a Nikon D300 and a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR II. Both these items say things like "Advanced weather sealing and dust protection" etc but I'm wondering ... how advanced IS that protection?

The Canon gear I used to use made it pretty clear that you can't expect truly decent protection until you hit the EOS-1 models and above and I'm wondering if the Nikon gear is the same, i.e. do I have to fork out for the D3 etc before I can expect any sort of decent weather sealing?

I shoot a lot of events and the outdoors being as it is I have to deal with rain from time to time, not to mention dust etc too.

Can anyone comment? How careful do I need to be with gear like this? Beyond the obvious care I take with all my gear, that is. Is the lens-ring on the both the body and lens sealed? Can moisture/rain/dust get in there? The D300 has sealing around the CF door but that's kinda pointless if the body etc isn't up to the same standard.

Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow