Final decision time - GH1, GF1 or EP2 idiosyncrasies?

Started Mar 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BradJudy
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Final decision time - GH1, GF1 or EP2 idiosyncrasies?
Mar 10, 2010

It's final decision time for me on a new camera. I'm pretty set on micro-4/3 both for the size and the ability to reuse my several Canon FD lenses. I'm also fairly well set on having an EVF (out with the EP1). I shoot a variety of cameras now (with and without viewfinders) and know that I'd prefer to have a viewfinder for this one. While I don't need super video support, having some support for video would be very nice (out with the G1). I'm going on a big trip in May, so I want to have a new camera in-hand in April to fully understand before that trip, and I expect the G2 won't be out in time (out with the G2/G10). The only advantage to the EPL1 is cost (and built-in flash over the EP2) and I'd be willing to pay a bit more for better build quality and features (EPL1 out). That seems to leave the GH1, EP2 and GF1.

I haven't been able to track down both a GH1 and EP2 locally, but when I handled a G1 and EP1 side-by-side a few months ago, I preferred the feel and handling of the G1. For some reason, the wheel position on the EP1 felt a bit awkward.

I'm a bit torn on the ability to shrink the camera down a bit with the removable viewfinder and the more comfortable package of the GH1.

I'd like to get a feel for any of the notable idiosyncrasies that separate the GH1 and EP2 function. Try and shake out those little things that you find yourself realizing after the fact "I didn't think to ask about that." I know there are the classic back and forth items between owners of better JPG output, faster autofocus, IBIS vs OIS, etc; and I've seen more than enough chatter on those topics.

What little thing did you find after buying your camera that were minor disappointments or happy surprises?

Thanks

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow