Started Mar 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheVoIP
Contributing MemberPosts: 883
Like?
I need 5DIIn with better AF
Mar 9, 2010

Well, I admit the 5DII is a pretty good camera when used with my 85LII and 200 f2 L. I love the combo for static potraits... which give me endless fantastic results...

Now I have good lenses and my current setup limitation is on the camera -> 5DII AF... Do see my case complait;

(1) On low light (example ISO6400 at f1/2 with 1/100), only the center AF can lock the AF... It had created problems for me... Not frequent issue... But it happen, especially for street shooting or low light indoor environment. And I miss my shots, especially I forgot to switch to the center AF when the time happen.

(2) Moving subject + relatively low light... (example ISO800 at f1/2 with 1/200) When subject is moving... even slowly... It is impossible to focus using the center AF and recompose... The other AF is simply not reliable...

FYI, my complait on AF reliability because I require shallow DoF. Example; 85 at f1.2 as well as 200 at f2. With those using f2.8 zooms, the problems might not be relevent.

So I hope Canon can produce a updated AF 5DII with 1D4 AF system... Or at least 7D AF system... I had thought of getting another 1D4 just for the AF purpose... But the problem with 1.3x crop factor is that... It will make my 200 f2 too long for potrait shots. 7D with 1.6x is even harder to shoot. And the last option is 1Ds series, which is triple the price of my 5DII...

Well, I believe my requirement is simply simple... Even Nikon D700 is using similar AF as from D3 if I am not mistaken... So why Canon refuse to do it? (By the way, I found D3 with 24-70 AF at wide open is not reliable...)

Am I asking too much? Am I the only one has this thought?

If Canon do make one and sell at the same price, I swear I will get one unit...

-- hide signature --

I believe in good cameras + good subjects + good moments + good mood = good pictures

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow