Started Mar 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Adam Schneider
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Buy G1 or wait for G2?
Mar 7, 2010

I've finally decided it's time to upgrade from my old Canon S2 IS. I have three criteria: (1) A bigger sensor. (2) Not an SLR; I don't want the bulk. (3) Flip-out/swiveling/articulating LCD screen.

So it seems like Micro Four Thirds is the best solution for me. (Although I'll sure miss the ultra-zoom capabilities of the S2). All my Google searches told me that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 is just about my only option if I want the flip-out screen... but then I also kept running into rumors about the upcoming G2, coincidentally to be announced the very same weekend that I'm pondering this issue.

The rumors were true, obviously, so I'm left with a dilemma: buy a G1 now, or wait for the G2 to become available? The main difference between the G1 and the G2 seems to be the touch screen and the ability to record video; is that an accurate summary? If so, I can live without those. But did they also make any significant changes to the guts of the camera as well, or will the image quality be about the same?

And of course, from a more tangible perspective: what will the street price of the G2 shake out to be, and WHEN exactly will it be available for purchase? (That is, how long does it usually take between announcement and availability?)

Of course, I realize that anything I buy is going to be obsolete when the unknown Next Big Thing comes along, and eventually you have to just act... but it feels like more of a question when the successor has actually been announced. On the one hand, I'm in no hurry, and either camera would be a significant upgrade for me, but on the other hand, peak wildflower season is coming fast!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow