ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kevin P Kitching
Senior MemberPosts: 2,231Gear list
Like?
My Hometown... (12 IMGS)
Mar 7, 2010

Hi All,

After thinking about it for quite some time, I finally got the motivation to photography the town where I was born and brought up (or raised, if you're the other side of the pond!)

It was a very busy and popular town famous for it's Textile production. Situated in the 'Heavy Woolen District' of Yorkshire, next to the River Calder. Sadly, there are no more manufacturing Mills left in the town and in recent years has gained somewhat of a poor reputation because of the Terrorists who came from the town. However, they are but a very small minority of the largely immigrant and Asian population which now reside in one half of the town.

I have left the original filenames in place because these images were shot with the S3 & D2x using either the 10-20EX Sigma or the 24-120VR Nikkor.

A very cold start, -8C this morning - Sunrise over Wakefield. (24-120VR)

Dewsbury Railway Station - the 07.28 to Middlesborough. (24-120VR)

The Local Newspaper Offices. (10-20EX)

The old Library and the Old Swimming Baths - both derelict. 24-120VR)

My Junior School - I was there betweeen the ages of 5 and 11. (10-20EX)

Bond Street, still cobbled!! (24-120VR)

The Black Bull Public House - Market Place. (10-20EX)

One of the Victorian Arcades near Market Place. (10-20EX)

The plaque above the entrance to the public house, used by my late Grandfather while my grandmother went shopping in the market. (24-120VR)

One of the now unused Textile Mills - most have been demolished to make way for car parking or supermarkets. (10-20EX)

View from one of the hills which surround the town towards the railway viaduct at the station. (24-120VR)

The Clock Tower of Dewsbury Town Hall - currently being renovated. (24-120VR)

My profound apologies for posting so many images, but it was great to re-visit the town of my youth... although maybe I'm getting old, but it just doesn't have the same character and 'friendly' atmosphere it had 35 years ago. My eyes were watering while I took some of the shots - not through nostalgia - but because it was so cold!! (Even if it did warm up to -6C).

Claypaws - if you ever fancy a joint shoot, let me know!

-- hide signature --

Kevin P Kitching

Kevin P Kitching's gear list:Kevin P Kitching's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2500HD Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow