Ordering Olympus ZD lenses from Hong Kong on ebay..is it a good idea?

Started Mar 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
Should be ok But.
In reply to CTomlin, Mar 7, 2010

If you use paypal your money should be safe. I have been refunded for none delivery.

I often bring in stuff from B&H and have no problems. (I live in South Africa). I have to pay the duty , freight , clearing , VAT. I can normally save about 15% from B&H

But don’t let it break out of warranty. You might have to send it back to the original seller. Here is where the problem lies. ( It’s happen to me.) . You send the lens back and land up paying the freight. The lens is repaired and sent back to you and you pay the freight. Now the fun starts. The lens hits customs and they want to see all the original import documents ( As per usual 3 Correct copies , 10 Call , 5 Faxes , 2 weeks.) If you can't produce it they make you pay it again and fine you.

I have subsequently purchased locally , E-30 , Bigma , 12-60 and paid the extra 20% as with Sigma I get a 3 Year , and Olympus I get a 2 Year warranty.

If the Item is under international warranty and has to be shipped the local company/agent also wants to see the original documents as they can also be caught up at customs. I also find that they stick the Item on the back burner and you can wait a long time for repair replacment. I still bring in stuff from B&H but only stuff that I can afford to replace I.E. filters , grips batteries etc. Basicaly the lower cost Items that I can live without.

Just my 2 cents worth.

-- hide signature --

Collin

http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow