AIS lenses on D300/D700 - how to set aperture? (pre-purchase question)

Started Mar 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve House
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
AIS lenses on D300/D700 - how to set aperture? (pre-purchase question)
Mar 7, 2010

Nikon shooter since 1968, currently owning both an FTn and an F2AS. I'm looking to add a digital body in the near future and looking at the D300s or D700 along with a decent current general purpose zoom to match. I currently have a bag-full of manual focus AIS primes and a couple of zooms that I would also plan to use with the new camera. I know the AIS lenses couple to the meter systems of both cameras and work in both manual and aperture-priority auto-exposure modes but I haven't been able to spot info on how one actually sets the aperture on them. These AIS lenses do not have the switch feature that locks the aperture ring to the smallest stop that you find on later lenses designed for auto-exposure cameras like the F4 and later. So does one set the aperture the old-fashioned way by turning the lens aperture ring itself or does one set it to the smallest stop and hope it stays there, actually setting the aperture with the camera's selector dial such as one would with later lenses possessing the lock switch? Does setting the aperture ring to a particular stop on an AIS lens inform the body's meter where it's set the same way in did in the older film cameras such as the F2?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow