D3S focus testing

Started Feb 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
sens72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,181
Like?
Re: Answer from Nikon (Canada)
In reply to pgphoto_ca, Mar 5, 2010

And, did you made some improvements over the 2 weeks?
I'm interested in your story, because I have a bit of the same problems.

My gear is the D300s and the 80-200 AFS, and the problems are the same as yours.
(testing with my little Wiener Rocket)

This problem never occurred with the D300/80-200 AFD combo.

Of course not every shot was in focus all the time with this combo, but it was clearly faster.
I think the problem is with the lens.

I still have my "old" D300 which worked perfectly with the 80-200 AFD, but now combined with the 80-200 AFS he can't keep up any more.

For the last 4 perfectly in focus pictures of my running dog, I had to delete at least 100 pictures that where out of focus (with a lot of them the focus was on the tail or the back of the dog).

The problem is that I sold my 80-200 AFD, so I can't test it along the AFS version.

I'm thinking about selling the AFS and buying a AFD version again, or buying the new VRII 70-200, but I have to test that lens before I buy it.

I asked Nikon Netherlands questions about af speed and the new VRII lens, and they say it's improved over the VRI version.

Problem in finding the solution is difficult, because everybody thinks you are crazy if you say that the AFD is faster than the AFS.
Why?
Because Nikon marketing people say that AFS lenses are faster.
So everybody takes that as a fact.

With the new VRII they have reduced the focus area (for fast focussing) from 2.5m to infinty to 5m to infinty.

So I guess that could be a reason to be a little faster, but 5m is to far for me as the closest focussing distance. 2,5m is just fine.

I also think it's not comparable with the older VR lens and the 80-200 AFD lens because of this issue.

Here are 2 examples of the good pictures (I have thrown away all the bad shots)

@ f3.5

@ f2.8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow