Disappointed with 500D/T1i's new firmware? A hack from CHDK may be the solution.

Started Mar 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raito
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
Disappointed with 500D/T1i's new firmware? A hack from CHDK may be the solution.
Mar 5, 2010

With the advent of the 550D/T2i/Kiss X4, Canon pretty much proved that the 500D/T1i/Kiss X3 always could handle so much more in the video mode, as the 550D has the same DIGIC 4 processor and same buffer as the 500D, if not even a lesser buffer, considering how the 550D only can handle a significantly less amount of shots in the continuous drive mode; only 53 jpeg and 6 raw, compared to the 500D's 170 jpeg and 9 raw. The 550D's higher resolution, and therefore bigger file sizes, is too minor to cause such a difference, so it is reasonable to assume that the 550D's buffer size actually is lesser than the 500D's. Regardless, the hardware differences are very minor. Even if Canon's previous claims are true, that the reason to a mere 20 fps in the 1080p video mode is because the 500D's sensor can't handle the bandwidth, the only reason that Canon then chose to opt for a 20 fps solution, instead of a 24 fps solution with a slightly downgraded sample quality, is because they wanted people to have better reasons to get the future 550D, that no doubt always was a part of Canon's business plan, so therefore the video intentionally was crippled.

Thankfully, Canon's disregard for the 500D owners' wishes for at least a minor fps upgrade now seems irrelevant. With Canon's release of the new 500D firmware, a hack finally is possible. And now that an update is on the way for the new 550D, its firmware may be able to more or less be ported to the 500D - maybe even with added features that the 550D currently also is lacking. Thanks to the people behind the CHDK team, this all may happen. Their efforts are very admirable and I myself put my hopes in what they may put together. Canon evidently does not care all that much about their "amateur" customers, so let's hope that others than Canon make this camera into what it can and always could be.

Visit CHDK's DSLR development forum here:

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=16b91149697ea6df81f06529d5bef761&board=33.0

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow