Started Mar 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve Throndson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
voting irregularities
Mar 4, 2010

The voting process has always confused me, but just lately I was surprised to learn how few votes are actually being cast. Example: A recent challenge had 175 entries and 1824 votes. The winning photo got a 'score' of 3,333 and had 143 viewers. These big numbers make me feel like my single vote is unimportant, but by chance I discovered that hovering over the bar graph reveals the actual number of votes . Maybe I'm slow, but I hadn't noticed that before.

The surprise was that only 15 people had voted for the #1 photo. Fifteen! In the middle of the pack, photo #85 had 61 viewers and 9 votes total. If we could get a lot more people to vote, even if they entered 'neutral' votes of, say, 2 or 2.5 - then any 'irregularities' would be greatly diluted.

How to do this? To start, maybe the good people at DPR could add some reminders of the importance of voting . Second, make the actual number of votes more visible. Third, entrants could use the 'description' area of their entry to remind folks to vote. If a viewer scrolling through a challenge sees 'don't forget to vote!' a couple of dozen times, it might help. And finally, everyone reading this should raise their right hand from the mouse and repeat after me "I will vote early and vote often"

. . . Steve

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow