Started Mar 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CommanderSpike
Regular MemberPosts: 298
Like?
'Modernisation' GH1 Pink Floyd video filmed in Boracay
Mar 2, 2010

I took my trusty GH1 on holiday with me last week, much to the disgust of my girlfriend! The aim was to make a video for Pink Floyd's Wish You Were here, about the divide between rich and poor people on the island. A divide which really is literally between the two sides of the island, two beaches, within 100m of each other.

I have a 5DMkII but left it at home. I think that says much about the GH1's capabilities. But one nagging aspect of viewing video on a computer screen and Vimeo is starting to bother me. It just doesn't do the GH1 justice. On a TV or projector, even a cheap 32 inch LCD TV, the colours and contrast just blow you away and the codec compression isn't noticeable because you're further away from the TV. Therefore, without that to distract you, the detail really pops out at you. Please give it a try guys, I think you'll be happy how this little camera stacks up against the might (and expense) of a professional 5DMkII set up.

A bit about the video... the people living in poverty really enjoy having annoying westerner's pop up on the doorstep with cameras... the island has a great atmosphere and beautiful nature, but there is darkness lurking within. Half way through the video, the girl holding her baby (with the man wearing a purple headscarf), I was told, fathered the baby with an American tourist at the age of only 13 or 14. The family however, are proud of the fact this happened. A very different mind-set to western society here but also quite worrying. Her life and childhood had been taken away by what is essentially a crime, but they all seemed happy.

All in all, great fun to do this video and I hope you get some feeling of the story I'm trying to tell with this little GH1.

http://www.vimeo.com/9853081

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow