Started Mar 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photonut2008
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,524
Like?
Sending the Tamron 28-75/2.8 back
Mar 2, 2010

I finally had a chance to test this lens out on my A850, and I compared it to my Nikkor 14-24/2.8 on my D300. All I can say is that there is no comparison:

I resized the A850 file to match the dimensions of the D300 file, and then both were resized and compressed by my host site. It doesn't matter though, the effect of these additional factors is to minimize just how much better the Nikkor does. The Tamron is worse on the left side than on the right side, but overall it never really outperforms the Nikkor (unlike the Zeiss 24-70/2.8, which was consistently better with the A850 than the 14-24 was with the D300).

Thoughts anyone? Did I just get a bad copy of the Tamron? Should I try the Sony 28-75/2.8 instead? Bite the bullet and go back to the Zeiss 24-70/2.8, and live with its shortcomings until the Zeiss 24/2 comes out? Sell my A850 and just wait for Nikon to come out with a high resolution DSLR that is reasonably priced?

At this point I think I will try out the Sony 28-75/2.8, although it's a couple hundred dollars more than the Tamron I'm sending back. For now, I get to spend a couple more weeks without a Sony camera; which means I will have essentially been without my A850 for nearly three months. I really hope I can get this issue resolved, I dearly want to keep the A850.
--
Anthony Beach

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow