Started Mar 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
seigell
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Appropriate Photography Magazine for an Amateur Landscape Photographer
Mar 1, 2010

I'm an amateur landscape photography enthusiast who would like to choose a good magazine subscription.

Since I still have a lot to learn about photography and post-processing and equipment and places to practice all of this, a good magazine should contain:

• tutorials about photography and post-processing

• hardware and software introductions and reviews and round-ups

• interviews and location stories that spur interest and ideas and photo outings

• reader participation and interactive or online elements

Since I am at the enthusiast level there are some common elements that I don't really need a magazine to focus on:

• professional photography concerns

• ultra expensive high-end equipment

• exotic locations that few mortal photographers could visit

Since my interests lean strongly toward landscape photography a focus on portrait or sports photography would not be needed (but occasional inclusion could broaden my horizons).

This doesn't need to be a Landscape Photography magazine, exactly...

In fact, from a few months of browsing the magazine racks at B&N and such, the magazine that I purchased most single issues is:
DIGITAL PHOTO - from the UK

This magazine has a running series of Photoshop Tutorials and How-To Guides supplemented by CDs and has stayed at about my skill levels. Perhaps I simply caught this magazine during a cycle of issues that seemed to hit several points in my list above, and perhaps other magazines would do the same if different months were sampled. I do wish that there were a direct US equivalent, not just because I have to do a little English-to-English translation while reading articles, but also because the ads are of little value and because through familiarity they use UK locations that are rarely accessible to me here in the US Southwest.

So, before I shell out $50-100 for a subscription, I'd really like to know what others have found to be their favorite Photography Magazines (and why they would fit my criteria).

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow