ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SFF
SFF
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Question from film newbie
Feb 27, 2010

I've been shooting digital, and have very little experience with film. For fun, I decided I wanted to try shooting film, so I purchased a used Nikon F100 film SLR on ebay. The body seems to be in very good condition, but I have a concern. There seems to be a moderate amount of dust inside the body.

I cleaned out the back decently with a q-tip. On the front side, the mirror seems moderately dust to. The q-tip just seemed to push around the particles without getting the mirror really clean. Also, who knows if there is dust under the mirror. I don't want to damage my camera by being overly aggressive, but I'm not sure how unusual or problematic a moderate amount of dust is in the body.

• Is a little dust a problem?

• Any cleaning tips?

• Any risk to my lenses attaching them to a moderate dusty body?

• Should I bring it to a camera shop (I purchased this inexpensively, so don't want to pay a whole lot to have it serviced, but I want it working well)?

Other than the dust, the F100 seems in great condition and is tremendously responsive in the hand.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow