Mk IV or 5DMk II plus 7D

Started Feb 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,244Gear list
Like?
Re: Examples...
In reply to Michael G2, Feb 27, 2010

Michael G2 wrote:

Tom's right, the use of high iso accepted in sports, and the fact that you can usually get full frame images that need little or no cropping reduce the impact of the noise. The background is also very different, and usually very varied in sports; the noise is less noticable. In nature photography the opposite is true, cropping is very common, and the bg is often homogenous, like blue sky or blurred grass. In these cases the noise really stands out. Of course you can do selective noise reduction on the background and make a perfectly good image at iso 1600 but that's not the same as the an image that is usable straight out of the camera.

I took this image yesterday, cropped 50%,

Canon EOS 7D ,Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM 1/800s f/7.1 at 700.0mm iso640

Even at iso640 the noise is very obvious in the feathers on the flank at bottom left. I blurred the bg in the top of the image to remove the noise, so it's not visible there, but there is no obvious noise in most of the bird, so all in all it works...

Here is an example of the 7D at iso3200, no NR and I think it is just fine, the action and intesity of the shot, plus the fact that it is full-frame, mean the noise does not seem excessive. But that's just my opinion.
Canon EOS 7D ,Sigma 150mm f/2.8 APO EX DG Macro HSM
1/250s f/2.8 at 150.0mm iso3200

You get pink skinned caucasians when you shoot them just like I do. My complaint is that everytime I shoot a caucasian, they look pink like pigs. It is soooo frustrating and I spend way too much time adjusting skin tones for clients. If ever someone more brilliant than me has pity on my plight----share your method of dealing with this problem with me.

-- hide signature --
 Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list:Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow