Started Feb 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
realgeek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,174
Like?
More thoughts on the A550 ...
Feb 27, 2010

I posted similar comments in another thread, but I wanted to repeat them in a dedicated thread.

There are many people here who hate (or belittle) the A550 -- which is fine. But the people who have it seem to love it (myself included) -- again, great. What's really annoying is that many of the former write off the latter as people who are merely justifying their purchase. That's not only nonsense, it's offensively condescending!

Sure, I guess it's possible for someone to conform their opinion to their actions and thus to like something they shouldn't because they spent so much money on it. But it's at least as likely -- in fact, more likely -- that they'll be angry if the expensive item doesn't live up to, and even exceed their expectations. People should stop trying to psychoanalyze each other!

I think that people who end up buying the A550 are pretty well informed and know what they are getting into. They either don't care about MLU, etc., or can live without it in exchange for HDR, etc. And the camera lives up to their (our) well-informed expectations. Those who can't live without MLU simply don't buy the A550. In other words, self-selection plays a strong role in A550 sales. People self-select in or out appropriately. Why is that hard to believe?

What does this mean? Well, it could affect the advice should people give about the A550. My opinion: Look into it. Learn what it offers and what it does not. If you remain interested, get it. You'll probably be happy, as purchasers tend to be. If you lose interest, don't get it. But don't be a snob and suggest that A550 owners aren't really happy!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow